Opening of Manchester Central Station
Negotiations on Central Station’s fate
1965 & 1966 – 1967 Report of City Planning Officer J.S.Millar
City Centre Advisory Scheme
City Centre Map showing CDA allocations
Closure of the Central Station
BDP proposals for the Central Station
Central Station sold to English & Continental
Outline Planning Application
Planning Application approved
Project on hold
Central Station sold to Demolition Company
Central Station bought by Greater Manchester Council
The City Centre Local Plan
Opening of G-MEX
Opening of Beetham Tower
• Brook, R. (2013). Renewal and regionality. Manchester Central Station–DRAFT. For conference: The Transformation of Urban Britain Since 1945. University of Leicester,9‐10 July 2013.
• Reilley, C.H. (1924). Some of Manchester Streets and their Buildings. Liverpool : University Press of Liverpool.
• Sharp, D. (1969). Manchester. London: Studio Vista.
• Atkins, P. (1976). Guide Across Manchester. Manchester : North West Civic Trust.
• Parkinson-Bailey, J. and Gristwood, E. (1996). Sites of the city, Manchester: essays on recent buildings by their architects. Manchester: Faculty of Art & Design, Manchester Metropolitan University.
• Parkinson-Bailey, J. (2000). Manchester: an architectural history. Manchester : Manchester University Press.
• Esher, L. B. (1981). A broken wave – the rebuilding of England 1940-1980. Harmondsworth : Penguin.
• Nicholas, R. (1945). City of Manchester Plan – prepared for the city council. Manchester.
• Walters, Anna (2004). Manchester: Shaping the City. London: RIBA Enterprises.
• Historic England (2015). PastScape. GREAT NORTHERN RAILWAY COMPANY GOODS WAREHOUSE. [online]. Available at: http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=76796&sort=4&search=all&criteria=hough&rational=q&recordsperpage=60 Last accessed: 1st Feb 2016
• Crowther, G. and Buchanan, C. (1963). Traffic in towns: a study of the long term problems of traffic in urban areas. London : H.M.S.O
• Pictures kindly provided by Arch. John Minnikin , ex employer of Cruickshank & Seward.
• Pictures taken from Richard Brooks’ 2013 report ‘Renewal and regionality. Manchester Central Station–DRAFT’
• Ben Brooksbank (2010) [Online] http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2098689 [Accessed 18 May 2016]
• Wikipedia.org (no date) [Online] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Central_railway_station#/media/File:Manchester_Central_Station_7.jpg [Accessed 18 May 2016]
• Cornerstones Guesthouse (no date). Gmex:Manchester Central & Accommodation. [image] Available at: http://www.cornerstonesguesthouse.com/latest-news/gmexmanchester-central-accommodation/ Last accessed: 1st Feb 2016
• Cooper, T. (2005). Manchester International Conference Centre. [image] Available at: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/60939 Last accessed: 1st Feb 2016
• GedChutes (no date). GED Chute Solutions - Beetham Tower – Manchester. [image] Available at: http://www.gedlaundrychutes.co.uk/blog-GED_Chute_Solutions__Beetham_Tower__Manc.htm Last accessed: 1st Feb 2016
• Manchester History (no date) Theatre Royal - Peter Street. [image] Available at: http://manchesterhistory.net/manchester/tours/tour6/theatreroyal.html Last accessed: 1st Feb 2016
• Speel.me (no date) The Free Trade Hall, Peter Street, Manchester. [image] Available at: http://www.speel.me.uk/sculptplaces/manchfreetradehall.htm Last accessed: 1st Feb 2016
• Gallery 3 (2008). Manchester Terracotta old YMCA. [image] Available at: http://gallery3.shippen.org.uk/index.php/2008-photoalbum/2008-10-08-Manchester-Terracotta-old-YMCA Last accessed: 1st Feb 2016
• Iicshow (no date) Manchester central aerial view. [image] Available at: http://www.iicshow.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/manchester-central-aerial-view.jpg Last accessed: 1st Feb 2016
• 28DL Urban Explorations (2013). Report - Manchester Central Station (GMEX). [image]. Available at: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/manchester-central-station-gmex-november-2013.t85872 Last accessed: 1st Feb 2016